Self Sanitation in the Kitchen Area- Hand Washing
Being a professional chef and a kitchen worker, self sanitation is very important. Since you are a food handler, you have to learn about the level of cleanliness and hygiene in and around the kitchen. So make sure that food poisoning organisms and other contaminants will not reach the food you are handling.
First of all, you will have to facilitate hand washing on your part. Hand washing is essential to self sanitation. This is the only way you can make sure that you will not contaminate anything at the basic level.
Here are things you can do and things you must avoid to expedite hand washing in the kitchen area.
1. Limit yourself to one wedding band, without stone.
2. You must not wear watches and bracelets as it interfere with hand washing. These items will also collect food that may spoil or contaminate other food.
3. Watch should not be hooked between uniform button and uniform.
4. Female kitchen employees may only wear stud earrings. Males are discouraged from earrings.
5. Fingernails need to be trimmed short and easy to clean.
Proper hand washing is so essential in the basic sanitation and hygiene in the kitchen environment. You should wash your hands before starting work and after going to the restroom, touching money, raw food, your face, hair or skin. You should also wash your hands when you sneeze or blow your nose and when you are handling or cleaning rubbish or dirty things.
1. Use warm water when washing your hands.
2. Use soap and build up a good lather.
3. Use a nail brush to clean nails. Always make sure your nails are short so it can be cleaned faster.
4. Rinse and repeat.
5. Dry Hands with disposable towel or air drier. Don’t use your apron as a hand towel.
Suffice it to say, hand washing is the most basic thing you can do when it comes to kitchen sanitation. One should be really wary and knowledgeable on how to facilitate hand washing in the workplace to avoid contamination and disease.
Just follow the tips and tricks above and you will be fairly sanitized always. On the next discussion, personal grooming will be discussed at length.